Thursday, October 20, 2011

The Driveway...It's Done!


Here it is after 10 days of solid work put in by myself and the guys from Eden Earthworks. It's over budget by at least 50% and nearly killed me...I selected and trimmed every piece of slate that you see. Would I do it again? Short answer...NO. Why? Cost as mentioned, freaked out council inspectors and the worry is it strong enough? It does have advantages....it looks great, lot's of very positive comments and it can be repaired if a part becomes damaged.

2 comments:

  1. I've already put in a budget for my driveway, but I just have to ask what's involved in this one. What kind of rock is used there.
    Dare I ask the kind of coin that's involved (even if per meter?) - it looks seriously expensive (and, with that, fantastic!), but worth it, and something I'd like to investigate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi...The rock is slate laided into a steel re-forced base of concrete. It's very labour intensive so if you can lower your labour costs you will come out ahead. I budgeted around $8000 but I'd say final cost was more like $12000. Having had it down for over 6 months there haven't been any problems with cracking. The slate does flake a little in some places but that doesn't cause any issues other than having to clean up the flakes. Regards Charlie

    ReplyDelete